Reiki and Stress
Post date: Jun 20, 2013 2:01:43 AM
Reiki and Stress; Who would benefit from Reiki and why do we need it?
To begin: What is Reiki?
The word Reiki, comes from Japan is made up of two syllables “Rei” translated as “Universal” and “Ki”, also known as “Prana” in Sanskrit or “chi” in Chinese medicine, stands for “life force energy”, together meaning “universal life force energy”.
Everything that exists is made up of energy, including us. When our energy is low, we are more likely to feel run down, or get sick. But what causes us to have low energy? The main answer is stress!...
What causes Stress?
Stress can be caused by many different things;
Mental stress can be caused from worry; about health, financial stability, about family members, friends or work and commonly about the future with the phrase “if this or that happens”.
Mental stress exhaustion can be caused from thinking too hard! Not just in academic jobs such as a lawyer, teacher or doctor, but in everyday tasks that we all do; planning, trying to think of new ideas, new strategies, ways to improve a situation, problem solving, studying, translating or using a language that isn’t your own! (This can include the language of the computer world!)
Physical stress can be often caused from physically working too hard, not only in physical jobs or activities such as the gym but also through physical daily tasks for instance, carrying something awkward and heavy, sitting uncomfortably for long periods of time (travelling) and activities not often thought of; sitting in a draft or walking in uncomfortable shoes! Physical stress pushes our bodies to the limit without enough break, or repositioning!
The activities are endless! Each problem varies in size and affects people differently, but in some way or another it caused stress on the body and mind, and often both, if ignored!
It can be so easy to affected by stress, But what can be done?
The answer is simple, awareness, prevention and cure.
Awareness is the start. Looking at our own lives and seeing what affects us personally, in our home lives, jobs, relationships and routine. The first step often is the hardest to acknowledge what we need to change and admitting that often we put up with situations which we can change for a calmer lifestyle. If we don’t see what we are doing to cause the problems in our lives we will only ever be looking for a short term fix to help us get through a few days!
Prevention is the next stage and always better than a cure, by being self-aware you help to prevent stress in your life before the buildup leads to a breakdown and exhaustion. How can we prevent stress? A few ideas below are well known but often forgotten,
- Drink more water than you drink carbonated or caffeine drinks
- Sleep 8 uninterrupted hours a night
- Eat a variety, balanced diet (a good tip is to try and make your plat like a rainbow – full of natural colour – not artificial!)
- Exercise regularly; Yoga classes or dance classes and if you don’t like to go to the gym, you can get off the bus one or two stops before your destination and walk and breathe in the fresh air!
- Meditate; is used to clear the mind from clutter and worry which leads to stress. A wonderful form of meditation is listening to your favorite music and relaxing for 20 minutes, without thinking of what you need to do or where you need to go!
- Keep a track of your finances, what you spend your extra money on, keeping a list, helps you see where your excess spending is, and allows you to control it!
- Taking regular breaks, in any activity you do, in your job, gym routine or house cleaning, setting a task to do then rewarding yourself with a beak and a walk in the fresh air to relax.
- Doing something fun! Dancing, socializing, swim in the sea! Something to relax!
- Treat yourself! Have regular massage treatments, focus on head massages to help improve sleep and reduce stress, or treat yourself to a yummy meal in your favorite restaurant!
- Lastly but most importantly looking at your daily activity and what you do, how you sit/stand/walk, is your TV at one angle which makes your neck twist, do you always sleep on one side? Looking and what can cause stress on your body, and trying to change simple things daily.
Cure is the last option, which can actually be the start, to help you get back on track if it has already gone too far! Treat yourself to a relaxing treatment a massage or a Reiki treatment, a little boost like this can be all you need to get back on track to your life and to allow yourself to organize your stress levels better.
What does Reiki do?
If simple terms Reiki allows your body to deeply relax on all levels, physical, emotional and spiritual. Deep relaxation gives you a complete rest allowing the body to heal itself and come back into balance (stress free). Some levels of stress are higher than others and often on the first Reiki treatment the mind can work overtime, as we often aren’t used to allowing the body to unwind and rest but quickly the mind will rest and relax.
Reiki treatments are a wonderful thing to experience, but sometimes not practical, due to not living near a Reiki practitioner, therefore there is also an option to study the level 1 Reiki course which allows you to give yourself treatments whenever you need them, and work on your friends and family, if it is them the need the balancing!
I would recommend a course of 3 Reiki treatments to start with, the first to break down and stress, the second to deal with any problems and the third to rebuild and strengthen again!